Sunday 8 November 2015

Dr Who

I have three boys, the youngest of whom, Oliver, turned 11 today.  

Having been a bit of a tomboy as a child (not liking dolls, always wanting a train set and a Scalextric track), I am very happy to have boys.  Yes they can be messy and noisy (or grumpy and sullen now that they are in their teens) but they can also be very loving, great fun and have the ability to make you laugh more often than they make you cry!

One of the other brilliant thing about my boys is they love lots of the same things as me, especially when it comes to films and TV.  We all love Star Wars, Star Trek, Bond films and anything Marvel or DC. And they also love Dr Who.   Ever since it came back on the TV we've sat down together to watch the various Drs battle Sontarins, Weeping Angels and of course Daleks.  

So when it comes to birthday cakes there is often a request for something related to their latest favourite film or character.   

This year Oliver requested a Dalek but one that was better than his older brothers from a couple of years back.   That was a Dalek who hadn't realised that he couldn't go down stairs and had landed on his head.



I forgot to bake a rounded cake for the head so added madeleines which ended up being lumpy.  It was also my first attempt at fondant icing ...so all in all a bit of an experiment.

Since then I have made more fondant covered cakes, including a Tardis so I am getting better at it.








This Dalek was made up of 4 sponges... coloured red.

Blue fondant icing made from a recipe from My Cup Cake Addiction using melted marshmallow.  (Very easy, but very sticky!)

 http://mycupcakeaddiction.com







Unfortunately, I opened the oven door too quickly on the fourth cake and it sunk in the middle.   We (Oliver and I) decided to fill it with sweets.

The cakes are stuck together and covered with coffee flavoured butter cream.
So here is the finished Dalek.... we used licorice for all the black decorations and some blue sweets for the bobbly bits.  

It seems a bit of a shame to cut it up but I'm looking forward to tasting it later .... 




No comments:

Post a Comment