Saturday 6 February 2016

Revamped coat

I signed up for a couple of Craftsy classes in the last few weeks, mainly on alterations.   Angela Wolf, the teacher, is great - she explains everything really well and her tips and hints have been very helpful.

One of the classes is devoted to altering jackets.  Is a coat that much different I thought?

I've had this coat for years.   I remember wearing it when I was 8 months pregnant with my first son and he turned 15 at Christmas.   It's been sat in my wardrobe ever since we moved to France so I thought why not take the plunge and do something with it.

It's hard to believe but this is a UK size 10!  It's enormous but I think this was just the fashion at the time.




How wide are those shoulders!!!



I needed to make the shoulders narrower and to take it in at the sides.  Plus it really was a bit too long... far to easy to trip over the bottom.  

I took off the sleeves first and altered the side and back seams to make it fit better.   Then I had to take in the two sleeve seams as well so that the sleeve cap would fit back in place.   Once this was done, making the shoulders smaller and reattaching the sleeves wasn't too difficult.  

The intermediate stage was a bit ridiculous looking though.

The finished coat is much nicer and I've actually worn it quite a lot in the last couple of weeks.   It's still big enough to wear with a jumper underneath which is what I wanted but at least it looks like it is the right size.





No comments:

Post a Comment