Thursday 5 February 2015

Sew bee it...

Well, I'm taking the plunge.   I've been toying with the idea of starting a sewing blog for a while.  Not that I'm an avid blog reader.  There are one or two that I look at occasionally to see what beautiful things other people are making or for hints and tips but that's about it. 

However, I love the idea of sharing my sewing projects and getting helpful feedback.  Whilst it's always flattering to hear "wow you made that!" only other people who sew really understand how much work goes into each piece. 

I've been sewing for ages (since I was about 6 or 7 years old) and have made everything from cushion covers to wedding dresses.  I once even made a new PVC cover for the gear stick of my old VW Passat.   I can't imagine life with out a sewing project but I still think my creations look "homemade" rather than handmade. 

I  drive my husband crazy as I spend half my time unpicking. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stitching so would rather do it three times to get it right than leave a wonky line of stitches.  I'm also ever so slightly selfish as I mostly make clothes for me.   Occasionally I'll run something up for a friend or I'll make some alterations for them but I'll rarely make them an outfit from scratch.

I love starting with a flat piece of fabric and turning it into a new outfit.  It means I've never turned up at a party wearing the same dress as someone else but also that I have way too many clothes (or perhaps just not enough storage space)..... 















No comments:

Post a Comment