Wednesday 25 February 2015

Uptown / Downtown

Back at the end of last summer, I bought some lovely Isabella wool mix jersey in navy and black from Fabric Godmother (http://www.fabricgodmother.co.uk).  The idea was to make a dress similar to this one from Hot Patterns - but as usual I wanted to make a few alterations just to make my sewing life easier!   I hesitated for ages before cutting out as I was worried the fabric would be too clingy so I made a couple of t shirts first to see how it would wash and wear.

 


I've already made the Uptown / Downtown dress in sweatshirting.  It's a really warm, comfy dress but didn't turn out anything like the images above.  There is virtually no gathering around the elastic waist as the fabric is too thick and I really hated how the band sat around the bottom so ended up removing it completely.    Despite checking the sleeve length first, they were too short (not that I have monkey arms) and the cuffs didn't cover my wrists.  The only option at that stage was to double the length of the cuff band, which actually looks quite nice but...

It's an easy pattern for beginners especially if you watch the YouTube videos first to see how to make the neck and wrist bands.   The "quartering" technique of dividing the neck and band into quarters (or even 8th or 16ths) made it much easier to attach and I've used this method on other knits since.

Anyway for the latest effort, I decided to remove the elastic and the seam at the waist and flare out the skirt to more of a skater style. 

Having cut the pattern pieces out during the Christmas holidays, I finally got round to finishing the dress a few days ago and I'm quite pleased with the result.   I'm a bit of a novice jersey sewer but it's not as difficult as it first seems as long as you use the right needles.   I overlocked all the seams as I went along (I like my sewing to look good on the inside too) and used a twin needle to sew around the neck band and the hem.   This is a  really nice neck line and sits well once ironed.  





(I know the photos aren't very good.  I'm going to have to butter up my husband to take future ones as my 14 year old son wasn't very enthusiastic about being my official blog photographer!)

In the end I think this dress will be a bit of a warmer, Spring weather one as the fabric is not that thick but I do like how it looks with opaque tights.  It will also be one to wear on "thin" days as it clings to every lump and bump!

No comments:

Post a Comment