Saturday 14 February 2015

Where does the General keep his armies?...

Why up his sleevies of course!   

Unfortunately I suffer from the cold and the South of France is not as warm in winter as you might think.   We get colder temperatures than I remember in London and certainly more frost and snow than where I grew up in Cornwall.  The difference here is that we don't get days on end of drizzly rain and grey skies .. even in February we get beautiful clear blue ....



My problem though is cold hands and feet.  My feet I can keep warm in a pair of sheepskin slippers but it's difficult to sew with mittens on!  In fact the worst thing is cold wrists and fashion seems to favour 3/4 length sleeves or ones that are just not quite long enough for me.   So when I'm making a shirt or t-shirt I always lengthen the sleeves a little bit.  

Last week I was still cold even though I was wearing a wool dress and wool cardigan and it was because the sleeves just weren't hugging my wrists enough.  And then I had a brain wave... socks!  I'd recently seen The Selfish Seamstress cut the feet off some socks to attach what was left to the top of a pair of gloves to make long gloves and thought why not do the same but make them into arm warmers.

So this is the result...  

First of all find an old pair of knee length socks.  These are old "flight" socks which have a slightly more elasticated bit just around the ankle...




Cut just off the foot part at heel line (marked in red) ...


Turn under a small hem and sew using a zig-zag stitch to allow some stretch...


And there you you go.. nice warm arms and wrists... 


Of course you don't have to use old socks but I was just about to throw this pair away.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment